Friday, June 3, 2011

I've been working on how to implement a suitable temperature/flow monitoring system. The problem is that all the controllers I've seen work with a very non-steampunky display; typically LCD or VFD. This just won't do. I need something that fits with the rest of the design I've been putting together.

Originally, I wanted to use analogue panel meters, but looking at the ones that are available, none of them really have the look I was going for. So I started looking into other options.

I came across a link for a nixie tube bar-graph recently, and that just seems right. Obviously, you won't be able to read a precise value from these tubes, but I think that's okay. The monitoring system will allow for reading that data into a GUI. I could also provide a button for each monitored value, which would cause the corresponding measurement to be displayed on a set of numeric nixie tubes as well as the bar-graph.

The values that I plan to measure are:
HSF temperatures for: CPU1, (CPU2?), GPU1, (GPU2?), motherboard
Water temperature at: Radiator outlet, Radiator inlet.
Air temperatures: MB chamber, air chiller inlet, outlet
Flow rate through the loop
Humidity of MB chamber

I won't display fan speed/pump RPM monitoring, though those will be accessible through a GUI.

Am I missing anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment