Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Difference Engine: Part 2, Drive bays

Since I found the MountainMods optical drive rack, I've managed to track down a sketchup model for it. I built the case front around it, and here's the result:
The door on the front of this rack is because I intend this cage for a 3.5" HDD rack. Now, this seems a little redundant to me, using one rack to hold another, but there are some significant reasons behind this choice.



First, because of the structure of this level of the case, there will not be easy access to the back of the rack without first removing it. Second, all of the mounting holes on 3.5" HDD racks are on the sides since most of them are intended to be mounted in 5.25" bays.

I haven't been able to track down a better way of mounting the 3.5" HDD rack because of those points. Any ideas are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment